Don’t Hold Back, Just JUMP In

Remember when I wrote about not letting your weight stop you from doing things?  Today I took my own advice.

bungy jump in new zealand

I went bungy jumping at Taupo Bungy in Taupo, New Zealand this morning.  That’s right.

Bungy jumping.

And you know what they do so you can bungy jump?  They weigh you.  In front of people.  And then they write that number on your hand so everyone who didn’t see your little public weigh in can then see it afterwards.

If you are scared of people knowing your weight then bungy jumping might seem even scarier than it is to other people.  Heck, for some people that probably is scarier than jumping.  But for me it wasn’t even an issue.  When I said I won’t let my weight hold me back I meant it.  Unless I am physically unable to do something I refuse to say I can’t/won’t.  So I wore my weight (100 kg) on my hand.  Maybe not with glowing pride, but definitely not with shame.  I guess I’m indifferent to how much I weigh.  There is nothing like weighing in online for hundreds of readers every week to get you over caring about how much you weigh.

But none of that really matters.  Because I FREAKING BUNGY JUMPED!

I was super nervous about it when we got there, because it’s something I’ve never done and it’s jumping off something HIGH with only a cord attached to your ankles. I was slightly freaking out in the beginning.  That was partly because I must have looked nervous so the guys working started joking about being drunk and accidents and how nervous they were.  Ah!

But really the worst part is slowly waddling your way to the edge of the platform so you can jump.  The cord is hanging off the platform and pulling at your feet like it is going to pull you off – it’s scarier than actually jumping.

Once I got in place and they told me you just fall forward I knew I could do it… and I did!!  I screamed for like a second and then realized it was fun and laughed during most of the jump.

Yeah.  That’s how it is.

All in all today has been a freaking fantastic adventure.

And I loved bungy jumping, despite being sooo nervous about it.  Moral of the story today is this: even if you fear something you should still do it.  Don’t hold yourself back from trying awesome things.  Don’t hold back from life, just jump in. ;)

Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on the links I will be compensated via a small commission to help keep A Merry Life running. Thank you for your support!

Comments

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are so brave & so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am in awe!!!!! The pics & video.. unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I missed commenting yesterday so want to say those pics are beautiful too!!!!!

Mary, you are one amazing chick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to follow in your footsteps!
    .-= Jody – Fit at 52´s last blog ..What I Do on Sunday =-.

Congratulations on bungy jumping! I would be terrified of doing something so dangerous, so your bravery astounds me. I’d be especially scared about my upper body going into the water once I jumped, haha, because that’s what should be scary about that situation.

I think it’s great you’re taking your own advice & doing things some people would think you couldn’t or shouldn’t do for whatever reasons. It’s inspiring to see someone else step out of their comfort zone and succeed!
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..Baked French Toast for One =-.

OK, that seals it. I MUST come to New Zealand. I have family living there, and I’m always so jealous of their pictures and stories.

Thanks for sharing this — you are so brave!
    .-= Katy´s last blog ..Upward Facing (Dog) =-.

4. Britany Brass says

mary, that was absolutely amazing! i’m so proud of you… i wish i could say that i was so comfortable with my weight! maybe i should just follow the “mary lifestyle”! (you’re my little piece of inspiration everyday…)

love you girl!

♥ brit

5. Lois J. Thompson says

I watched the video after just looking at the pictures, I was so nervous for you, I don’t know why though, after jumping off that mountain in Austria, this should have been a piece of cake. I think maybe I should just expect these kind of things from you. I know when the years pass and you come to my age you will look back and not regret a thing because you will have done it all.
    Love MOM

• says

That’s too bad. It did jack up my back a tiny bit so I won’t be doing it again, but I’m glad I got to do it once. High rollercoasters are awesome!

OMG mary I didn’t watch the video cuz im at work but watching the photos of you jumping over made me physically nauseous with fear! (I’m not kidding) Just the thought of myself doing something like that scares me to death!! I cant even go on rollercoasters! You’re so brave! I know you said even if you fear something you should still do it, but I think I would have a heart attack, so I wont. Lol. I did go on a rollercoaster a couple of years ago BECAUSE I was so afraid, and screamed so much and felt like fainting it was the scariest thing ever and my friend still teases me. And I learned I will NEVER do that again. I still have nightmares. Lol. Kayaking is fun though! Yay. And fresh honey! Every couple of weeks I buy fresh honey from our farmers market. I’m glad youre adventerous enough for everyone yay you!
    .-= merri´s last blog ..Bloggers & Readers: A lil Quid Pro Quo?? =-.

• says

We got the video/pics package with the bungy jump so they took the footage and then gave it to us afterwards. ;) Pretty sweet deal.

It didn’t hurt my ankles or my knees. It hurt my back a bit with whiplash, but it’s pretty much gone the day after.

Mary – I bet this post draws more comments than any other in history. WOW! How spectacular. i was cringing just looking @ your photos. Good for you. I’m pretty adventurous but this scares me. Anyway, great job and this is a post/experience I’m sure you’ll never forget. It certainly is a post I will always remember. Thanks for sharing and looks like your NZ is a blast!
    .-= Sara´s last blog ..Day of Beauty for special needs young adults! =-.

8. Teresa says

Awesome! I bungee jumped once but not into a body of water and not from such a height. Fun stuff! WTG on not missing out on things!

9. Jade says

I’ve always wanted to bungee jump but I was too young.. and now I felt like I was too heavy. You have definitely inspired me. Thanks for the post!

Trackbacks