Don’t Hold Back, Just JUMP In

by Mary on January 25, 2010

Remember when I wrote about not letting your weight stop you from doing things?  Today I took my own advice.

We went bungy jumping at Taupo Bungy in Taupo, New Zealand this morning.  That’s right.  Bungy jumping.

And you know what they do so you can bungy jump?  They weigh you.  In front of people.  And then they write that number on your hand so everyone who didn’t see your little public weigh in can then see it afterwards.

If you are scared of people knowing your weight then bungy jumping might seem even scarier than it is to other people.  Heck, for some people that probably is scarier than jumping.  But for me it wasn’t even an issue.  When I said I won’t let my weight hold me back I meant it.  Unless I am physically unable to do something I refuse to say I can’t/won’t.  So I wore my weight (100 kg) on my hand.  Maybe not with glowing pride, but definitely not with shame.  I guess I’m indifferent to how much I weigh.  There is nothing like weighing in online for hundreds of readers every week to get you over caring about how much you weigh.

But none of that really matters.  Because I FREAKING BUNGY JUMPED!

I was super nervous about it when we got there, because it’s something I’ve never done and it’s jumping off something HIGH with only a cord attached to your ankles.  In the video you can see that I was slightly freaking out in the beginning.  That was partly because I must have looked nervous so the guys working started joking about being drunk and accidents and how nervous they were.  Ah!  But really the worst part is slowly waddling your way to the edge of the platform so you can jump.  The cord is hanging off the platform and pulling at your feet like it is going to pull you off – it’s scarier than actually jumping.  But once I got in place and they told me you just fall forward I knew I could do it… and I did!!  I screamed for like a second and then realized it was fun and laughed during most of the jump.  If you have three-ish minutes you should totally check out the video because it is freaking awesome.

Yeah.  That’s how it is.

We also went to The Honey Hive where I bought some honey (for peanut butter and honey on toast!), took a little excursion to see Huka falls, and we went kayaking, then got caught in a storm, camped out for a bit with a super nice family from Auckland, and then hauled ass back so as not to get electrocuted.  Maybe not the best kayaking adventure, but definitely a unique one.

All in all today has been a freaking fantastic adventure.

And I loved bungy jumping, despite being sooo nervous about it.  Moral of the story today is this: even if you fear something you should still do it.  Don’t hold yourself back from trying awesome things.  Don’t hold back from life, just jump in. ;)

1 South Beach Steve January 25, 2010 at 6:38 am

I fear that, and I am not sure I have what it takes to make myself do it. I am impressed.
.-= South Beach Steve´s last blog ..Weigh-In, Measurement, and Goals =-.

2 Jody - Fit at 52 January 25, 2010 at 7:08 am

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are so brave & so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am in awe!!!!! The pics & video.. unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I missed commenting yesterday so want to say those pics are beautiful too!!!!!

Mary, you are one amazing chick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to follow in your footsteps!
.-= Jody – Fit at 52´s last blog ..What I Do on Sunday =-.

3 Rachel January 25, 2010 at 7:14 am

Congratulations on bungy jumping! I would be terrified of doing something so dangerous, so your bravery astounds me. I’d be especially scared about my upper body going into the water once I jumped, haha, because that’s what should be scary about that situation.

I think it’s great you’re taking your own advice & doing things some people would think you couldn’t or shouldn’t do for whatever reasons. It’s inspiring to see someone else step out of their comfort zone and succeed!
.-= Rachel´s last blog ..Baked French Toast for One =-.

4 SeaShore January 25, 2010 at 7:28 am

Lovelovelove it! You are both crazy people! In a good way ;)
.-= SeaShore´s last blog ..A loss and an NSV, with a side of tension and a sprinkling of pain =-.

5 suzanne January 25, 2010 at 7:29 am

Wow, that’s awesome Mary!! Don’t know whether i’d be able to do that :)
.-= suzanne´s last blog ..Weekly goal update… =-.

6 Michelle @ Eatingjourney January 25, 2010 at 7:45 am

You are so cool…man seriously who does that? WOOT! You bungee jumped in NZ. :)
.-= Michelle @ Eatingjourney´s last blog ..Selling Yourself Short..STOP IT! =-.

7 Katy January 25, 2010 at 7:56 am

OK, that seals it. I MUST come to New Zealand. I have family living there, and I’m always so jealous of their pictures and stories.

Thanks for sharing this — you are so brave!
.-= Katy´s last blog ..Upward Facing (Dog) =-.

8 Randi January 25, 2010 at 9:05 am

Wow you are my shero!

I would so love to bungee jump but just watching your vid gave me butterflies in my stomach.

9 Jenn @ Watch My Butt Shrink! January 25, 2010 at 9:39 am

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW!!!! You are sooooo brave!!!!! That looks so scary, but fun – but scary!!!!
.-= Jenn @ Watch My Butt Shrink!´s last blog ..Food Journal: 01.24.10 =-.

10 Camevil January 25, 2010 at 9:57 am

Those pics gave me stomach butterflies. And to follow that with kayaking and camping? You are so badass!
.-= Camevil´s last blog ..The Year in Review =-.

11 Elaine January 25, 2010 at 10:04 am

Good for you! Scary and fun all at once.

12 Pink Panda January 25, 2010 at 10:07 am

thought you were on the amazing race for a second there
.-= Pink Panda´s last blog ..Almost like Starbucks Blondie Brownies =-.

13 Jack Sh*t January 25, 2010 at 10:34 am

That is an overdose of AWESOME, Mary. You rock, girl!
.-= Jack Sh*t´s last blog ..A Post Too Hot for JSGF =-.

14 Yum Yucky January 25, 2010 at 10:40 am

oh ma gosh! oh ma gosh!

My stomach is rolling like I’m on a roller coaster from these pics. You are SO BRAVE! Gulp! What a wonderful memory-making experience!!
.-= Yum Yucky´s last blog ..Anti-Greedy Technique =-.

15 Tiffany January 25, 2010 at 10:40 am

Whoo hoo! Those are some amazing pics! You weren’t lying when you said you wouldn’t let it hold you back- you are inspiring chica!
.-= Tiffany´s last blog ..Day #25: Keep on Keepin’ on! =-.

16 Erin January 25, 2010 at 11:00 am

OMG – I love it!
.-= Erin´s last blog ..OOPS!!! =-.

17 AndrewENZ January 25, 2010 at 11:18 am

I got nervous just watching! Way to go!
.-= AndrewENZ´s last blog ..Weigh-in Monday #4 2010: The streak continues =-.

18 Britany Brass January 25, 2010 at 11:20 am

mary, that was absolutely amazing! i’m so proud of you… i wish i could say that i was so comfortable with my weight! maybe i should just follow the “mary lifestyle”! (you’re my little piece of inspiration everyday…)

love you girl!

♥ brit

19 Mary January 25, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Aww, Brit I <3 you.

20 BodyByPizza January 25, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Oh. My. God. You are my hero! Incredible!
.-= BodyByPizza´s last blog ..Getting My Bearings =-.

21 Lois J. Thompson January 25, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I watched the video after just looking at the pictures, I was so nervous for you, I don’t know why though, after jumping off that mountain in Austria, this should have been a piece of cake. I think maybe I should just expect these kind of things from you. I know when the years pass and you come to my age you will look back and not regret a thing because you will have done it all.
Love MOM

22 Foodie Girl January 25, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Wow! I could never do it. I am so terrified of heights and drowning. No way! But I am glad you were able to do it!
.-= Foodie Girl´s last blog ..Leftover Savings =-.

23 Steve January 25, 2010 at 1:24 pm

WOW! That is beyond incredible.

I’ve been skydiving, but never bungee jumping….WooT to you!
.-= Steve´s last blog ..Weekend Update =-.

24 Karen January 25, 2010 at 1:41 pm

OMG that looks so fun! But I am not sure I would be that brave.
.-= Karen´s last blog ..A health nut? =-.

25 Cynthia (It All Changes) January 25, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I love that you just went for it. I’m not allowed to do it with my back but that is how I found my love for high rollercoasters…I just did it and fell in love.

26 Mary January 25, 2010 at 3:18 pm

That’s too bad. It did jack up my back a tiny bit so I won’t be doing it again, but I’m glad I got to do it once. High rollercoasters are awesome!

27 Sagan January 25, 2010 at 1:48 pm

YOU ROCK.

Are you for REAL, Mary?!

Wow.

Sounds like this traveling adventure of yours was one of the best ideas ever :)
.-= Sagan´s last blog ..A Crash Course in B Vitamins: Part Two =-.

28 Lance January 25, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Mary!
This is completely awesome!!!
.-= Lance´s last blog ..Sunday Thought For The Day =-.

29 JayLoss January 25, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Very nice.. you’re a brave woman. It would take a lot for me to get up there.. let alone jump. :)
.-= JayLoss´s last blog ..A Good Workout =-.

30 Kat January 25, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Just found your blog, and wow! You are so brave!
.-= Kat´s last blog ..Living Healthy on a Budget…Yes, it Can Be Done! =-.

31 Terrie January 25, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Freaking awesome Mary!! You have more guts than I do. I always wondered what happens AFTER a jump. I thought they may have lifted you back to the top somehow. Congratulations on your jump!
.-= Terrie´s last blog ..Update On Goals And Where I’ve Been =-.

32 The Crazy Woman Inside Me January 25, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Holy cow, Mary!! I get eeky just standing on the second rung of a ladder! Loved the still shots and video. What a brave and amazing feat! :-D

–Susan
.-= The Crazy Woman Inside Me´s last blog ..Oh My God, We’re in the Air! =-.

33 FitMomNow January 25, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Amazing! You’re fearless!
.-= FitMomNow´s last blog ..30 Day Weight Loss Challenge……Healthy Curb =-.

34 merri January 25, 2010 at 5:32 pm

OMG mary I didn’t watch the video cuz im at work but watching the photos of you jumping over made me physically nauseous with fear! (I’m not kidding) Just the thought of myself doing something like that scares me to death!! I cant even go on rollercoasters! You’re so brave! I know you said even if you fear something you should still do it, but I think I would have a heart attack, so I wont. Lol. I did go on a rollercoaster a couple of years ago BECAUSE I was so afraid, and screamed so much and felt like fainting it was the scariest thing ever and my friend still teases me. And I learned I will NEVER do that again. I still have nightmares. Lol. Kayaking is fun though! Yay. And fresh honey! Every couple of weeks I buy fresh honey from our farmers market. I’m glad youre adventerous enough for everyone yay you!
.-= merri´s last blog ..Bloggers & Readers: A lil Quid Pro Quo?? =-.

35 Lori (JaneBeNimble) January 25, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Mary,
Good for you!! The music in the video made me giggle – so chillax for a nerve-racking moment!
Full of awesomeness!
Yee haw!!!
~xo
.-= Lori (JaneBeNimble)´s last blog ..Front Porch: Only in Lance World =-.

36 Whitney January 25, 2010 at 6:56 pm

You are so brave! Thanks for inspiring us :)
.-= Whitney´s last blog ..My grandfather. =-.

37 ernise January 25, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Oh wow! You are amazing! No way I would do such a thing!
.-= ernise´s last blog ..40 mile goal – halfway point =-.

38 Beth (Mackattack) January 25, 2010 at 8:37 pm

how did you get so many awesome pictures of you bungy jumping? That’s amazing! Did it hurt your ankles or knees? Way to go!
.-= Beth (Mackattack)´s last blog ..Basic Risotto Recipe =-.

39 Mary January 25, 2010 at 9:42 pm

We got the video/pics package with the bungy jump so they took the footage and then gave it to us afterwards. ;) Pretty sweet deal.

It didn’t hurt my ankles or my knees. It hurt my back a bit with whiplash, but it’s pretty much gone the day after.

40 David January 25, 2010 at 9:54 pm

WTG! Cool how you got every part captured with pics!
.-= David´s last blog ..Lightheaded after workout =-.

41 Barry January 26, 2010 at 1:29 am

I take my hat off to you that was amazing!! Anybody that can get the courage up to do something like that is simply amazing. Again, congratulations.
.-= Barry´s last blog ..Food Addiction – What Is It And How Is It Treated? =-.

42 Miz January 26, 2010 at 4:37 am

I LOVE IT!!

man this year is already one of change and ballsiness (thats the technical term :)) for you and we’re only 26 days in…
.-= Miz´s last blog ..Super slow weight training. =-.

43 Mary January 26, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I LOVE that term. That should be my theme for the year. ;)

44 Joanna Sutter January 26, 2010 at 5:36 am

YOU ROCK! I can’t stand it! I would be scared out of my mind!
.-= Joanna Sutter´s last blog ..Pumped & Ready for Success =-.

45 Sara January 26, 2010 at 6:14 am

Mary – I bet this post draws more comments than any other in history. WOW! How spectacular. i was cringing just looking @ your photos. Good for you. I’m pretty adventurous but this scares me. Anyway, great job and this is a post/experience I’m sure you’ll never forget. It certainly is a post I will always remember. Thanks for sharing and looks like your NZ is a blast!
.-= Sara´s last blog ..Day of Beauty for special needs young adults! =-.

46 Hanlie January 26, 2010 at 6:39 am

You are a superhero! I love it! Way to go, Mary!
.-= Hanlie´s last blog ..I ache in the places where I used to play =-.

47 sian-girlgestrong January 26, 2010 at 8:12 am

Holly molly…are you crazy? I mean, not crazy in the bad sense BUT wow…I don’t think I could do that..love the proof of all the pictures and the video….and yes, we can DO IT!
.-= sian-girlgestrong´s last blog ..It’s official, I’m an “alky”….or am I? 21 day pH challenge update =-.

48 All Women Stalker January 26, 2010 at 10:17 am

OMG. You rock for doing that. Way to go!

49 'Drea January 26, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Way to jump off into the abyss; don’t think I could do it.

Love the frame by frame documentation of the jump. Wow…

50 josie January 26, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Friggen A!

Now THAT’S how you do it.
.-= josie´s last blog ..Rewards! =-.

51 Teresa January 26, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Awesome! I bungee jumped once but not into a body of water and not from such a height. Fun stuff! WTG on not missing out on things!

52 Chris January 27, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Wow! That looks so fun!!!! And yes, always face your fears! Especially in such a wonderfully exciting way. :)
.-= Chris´s last blog ..Bridgestone Motorcycle Tires =-.

53 KCLAnderson (Karen) January 28, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Watching that brought tears to my eyes…you so rock Mary!!
.-= KCLAnderson (Karen)´s last blog ..What Am I Really Afraid Of? =-.

54 Bella January 28, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Wow! You’re my hero. That is all.
.-= Bella´s last blog ..Feeling Abundantly Loved =-.

55 Julie Jenson January 30, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Great advice, inspirational and motivational
.-= Julie Jenson´s last blog ..Diet Bars Are Not The Solution =-.

56 Holly February 4, 2010 at 5:17 pm

WOW!!! I am so impressed- that gives “just do it” a whole new meaning. You go girl.

57 juggernaut March 2, 2010 at 1:20 am

Woo hooooooooooooooooooooo

U inspire me to get goin no matter what

58 Jade April 10, 2010 at 11:48 am

I’ve always wanted to bungee jump but I was too young.. and now I felt like I was too heavy. You have definitely inspired me. Thanks for the post!

{ 6 trackbacks }