I’ve been meaning to share this recipe for a while since going dairy free. I don’t know why it’s taken me so long, but now those of you who don’t follow my food blog can now get the best pasta idea ever.
This came about because I went dairy free for a while but still had a ton of pasta around that I wanted to eat. Luckily around the same time I saw a recipe on Oh She Glows for creamy avocado pasta. I took that recipe and ran with it, changing it a bit and perfecting it to my personal liking. Now I have something that I love, love, love and want to share with all of you.
Creamy Avocado and Spinach Pasta Recipe
Yield: Serves 2
Creamy Avocado and Spinach Pasta Ingredients:
- 1 medium sized ripe Avocado, pitted
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup Fresh Basil
- 1 cup baby spinach
- protein choice optional (chicken, black beans, etc)
- 2 servings/6 oz of your choice of pasta
- 1/4 cup pasta water
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Creamy Avocado and Spinach Pasta Directions:
- Bring several cups of water to a boil, reduce heat, cook pasta about 8-10 minutes.
- To make the sauce place the garlic cloves, lemon juice, and olive oil into a food processor and process until smooth. (I used the Cuisinart 9-Cup Food Processor.)
- Add avocado and salt to the mixture and process until smooth and creamy.
- Add basil and spinach to the food processor. Process until smooth and mostly blended. It will be really green!
- Add 1/4 cup of pasta water to the sauce mixture after the pasta has been cooked.
- Drain and rinse pasta in a strainer and place pasta into a large bowl. Pour in the sauce and toss. Add protein choice if desired.
Serve immediately and ENJOY.
Creamy Avocado and Spinach Pasta
I love, love, love this pasta combination. It’s honestly the best thing I make in my food processor.
I’ve eaten it with spinach fettuccine, gluten free pasta, and others and it’s always good. It makes me love any kind of pasta. It’s also a great base to add anything to it if you want. I’ve had it plain, with chicken, with kidney beans, with black beans – every option so far has been delicious.
It’s hard to explain how much I love it. But you know if it’s on this part of the blog it’s GOOD. I use my food blog for experimenting and tracking, so when food ideas cross over to here it means you need to try them. Because they are the best of the best. And if you have cut out dairy or are cutting back then this recipe will give you creamy, delicious pasta without the milk. It’s fully of natural, healthy goodness and it tastes great. Win!
Enjoy my friends!