Today I’m feeling rather amazing.
Yesterday I decided I was going to start dressing up for work again after a few weeks of working in pajamas and gym clothes. I kept it simple and just wore jeans and a tshirt but even that made a difference and made me more productive.
At the end of the day though I ended up on some style blogs (via links from comments on this blog) and after a bit of blog surfing I realized I want to dress better. Develop a personal style. That kind of thing. I’m a bit tired of being the girl in jeans and a tshirt.
I spend 95% of my time in jeans and a tshirt or in gym clothes. That’s not a horrible thing since I love working out but I feel like I could dress better and represent myself better by wearing different clothes.
Style is something I’ve struggled with because I’ve never felt like I have enough money to spend it on clothes or a body worth clothing *that* well. I still don’t feel like I have the money but I want to make it a higher priority because dressing better makes me feel better. It makes me feel more happy and proud of my body. It’s the same feeling I get after a tough workout but all it takes is putting on the right clothes.
You know how I used to write a lot about loving my body? Well today I do. A lot. Why? Because I put on a cute green shirt, looked in the mirror and thought, “Damn, I look good.” Even without any makeup or doing my hair I still felt amazing just because I was wearing cuter clothes. Dressing better instantly made me feel more body confident.
There is a link between clothing, style, and body acceptance that I haven’t explored enough. I tried before but ending up giving up because of time and money. But I feel like now is a good time to revisit these topics in my own life and explore how they affect me.
For instance, how will buying clothes now and wearing what makes me feel good affect the rest of my life? Will I really be able to get past the idea of waiting to buy clothes until I’m skinny? How can I find the clothes that fit my body and personality (er, without going broke)?
There is a lot to explore here. I think I’m going to tackle it in a few ways:
- Look for clothing/fashion inspiration online.
- Evaluate what I currently have and can work with.
- Decide on a few pieces to get first.
- Go thrift shopping here in NZ and hope for the best.
- Start putting together outfits that make me feel my best.
- Eventually sew some new cute things (once I learn how!).
I’m probably not going to be posting outfits/clothes here but I think I might post them somewhere on the interwebs since this feels like a project to me. It will probably be sporadic and maybe just in monthly updates on my other blog or here. I don’t know.
I have a few questions for anyone who would like to share their experiences:
- What would you describe your personal style as?
- What draws you to certain clothes in the first place (color, shape, size, price)?
- Do you buy clothes to fit and flatter your current body? Or do you wait for “when you will be skinny”?
- Also, where do you shop/where should I look for cute but not terribly expensive clothes?