Today, I went grocery shopping without a list! I neeeever do that anymore. I always have a list even if it’s just a short one or one that I’m repeating over and over in my head. Basically I always have a plan.
My Unplanned Grocery Shopping Without A List
But this time I went to Kroger (local grocery store) without a plan. It ended up costing me more than I should have spent and wasn’t very thorough. I did buy a few things that will last the whole two months I’m here so that’s something.
Here’s what I got (the roomie’s leopard cat checking it all out):
- ground turkey breast
- sliced deli turkey
- salmon (in the packs, not cans)
- whole wheat bread
- baby carrots
- organic baby greens
- natural peanut butter
- Kashi Go Lean cereal
- almond milk
- luna and cliff bars
- red hot blue corn chips
- ketchup, light mayo, mustard, salad dressing
I’m probably mostly going to make myself salads and sandwiches (or turkey burgers) while I’m here because it seems like too much work to cook just for myself. It’s just easier, though I might change my mind later if I get the urge to make awesome meals since there is actual space in the kitchen.
It wasn’t a bad haul for grocery shopping without a list. That amount of food should be good for more than a week and last me lots of meals especially if I’m making things like sandwiches.
I’m also probably going to eat out quite a bit while I’m here just because it’s great to see everyone and I have lots of social events planned. I already have been eating out a lot actually! Saturday I had chicken fajitas from which I skipped the tortillas and brought half home for lunch the next day. Then today I had a salad and a single chicken enchilada with refried beans. I love Mexican food so I tried to keep it reasonable while still indulging in my favorite things.
I’ll make a list for my next trip to Kroger. Having a plan works way better for me!
Reasons To Grocery Shop With A List
As you can see, I didn’t do terrible while grocery shopping without a list. However, I still feel that shopping with a list is much better. I prefer grocery shopping with a list for a lot of reasons:
- You won’t forget anything you need.
- You won’t add a bunch of unnecessary items.
- You’ll save a lot of time.
- You will save a lot of money by planning ahead.
- You will have everything you need when making meals.
- You won’t wander into aisles you don’t need to be in.
- You won’t be sucked in to manipulative sales techniques in stores.
- You’ll have a rough idea of your spending before you shop.
- You’ll feel more prepared and leave feeling accomplished rather than overwhelmed.
- You will enjoy checking things off the list… or maybe that is just me!
There are a ton of other reasons to grocery shop with a list which is why I definitely plan to do it next time and every time after that!
Do you grocery shop with a list or without one?