I wrote this post for myself several months ago. I look at it every once in a while as a reminder of what to do. I made it to work today but I’m feeling very blah/iffy so I pulled out the list again and decided to share it. Enjoy.
Every month I struggle through feeling blue. It usually comes with anxiety and low self-esteem that is just so hard to shake. Usually it’s just for a couple days, though I’ve gone through longer periods in my life that were very depressing.
Though I’m in the process of finding medication and other ways to help with this I also try my best to beat away the low self-esteem on my own.
After I decide to pick myself back up when feeling low, I usually go to a list of things I KNOW will make me feel better about myself. It’s helpful to have a list of go-to things I can do to raise my self-esteem to feeling great again.
Here’s the list I made for myself, I hope it helps you!
Ways To Boost Your Self Esteem
- Write a list of things you like about yourself.
- Write a letter to someone you love encouraging them.
- Do something awesome for someone else.
- Go for a 30 minute walk. Fresh air, sun, and exercise helps.
- Hit the gym for a hard workout. Endorphins!
- Smile. Smile at yourself in the mirror.
- Treat yourself to something special like a new book or movie.
- Spend time with a positive, happy person. It rubs off. Really.
- Do the thing you know how to do the best.
- Work through the troubling thoughts to reach a more positive place. (Get help if needed.)
Low self esteem is a bummer! It’s something I’ve dealt with on and off for my whole life and probably will continue to deal with forever just because of the way my brain works. Though I wish it wasn’t an issue I’m choosing to deal with it in a positive way and not make it become a bigger deal than it needs to be.
Feel free to add additions or share what you do to raise self-esteem in the comments (simple or complex). I could always use more suggestions. :)