The health blogging niche is a broad term that I use to describe any blog about getting or being healthy, losing weight, training, sports, or any other thing related to living a healthy life. There are some that might not agree with this kind of distinction and would further label blogs into smaller niches. But for the purposes of looking at the whole blogging world, we would fall into a health and wellness category. So let’s stick with health blogging as our main niche and look at the different types of blogs that fall under that.
First there are two kinds of blogs that exist in almost every niche. A personal journal type of blog and an information site type of blog. Before you begin you need to decide which direction you are planning to take with your blog. Are you trying to chronicle a personal journey? Or just provide information? Or create an online magazine? Or create a resource for a certain sub niche? Before you start blogging you will want to decide what kind of blog you want to create. This decision will influence the writing and style of your blog.
The two types of blogs exist in almost all of the subniches within health blogging. Those subniches include:
- weight loss/diet blogs – blogs either giving dieting information or a personal journal of weight loss
- healthy living foodie blogs – blogs that are more focused on food, showing pictures or recipes
- running blogs – blogs of runners out there blogging their runs, training, and everything running
- training blogs – blogs about training tend to be more informational blogs teaching you how to train and giving workout advice
- fitness professionals – blogs from personal trainers, coaches, etc. who share information and sell their training services
- healthy living blogs – blogs that contain information about all aspects of being healthy
- others – there are other blogs out there that don’t neatly fall into these niches yet still would be considered health blogs, others that fall into multiple categories, and even more general life blogs with a health/fitness category or slant
Those are a few of the types of health blogs that exist out there. It is by no means an exhaustive list, just a list of the most common types of blogs.
Once you decide what kind of blog you want to have (personal or informational), your job is to find your own place in the niche. There are THOUSANDS of health blogs out there. Any topic you can think of has already been covered hundreds of times. If you want to be successful you will need to make sure your blog is different. You can do this in different ways – for example by doing something amazing or having a well defined writing voice – but just know that you will need to do it. You will want to define your place within the niche and then work on defining your own blogging voice to shine within that area.