Yesterday’s post was interesting in the reactions it got. I knew a few people would disagree, think I should use other words, etc. Words like “skinny” and “fat” generally have connotations that rub some people the wrong way. Others take them for just what they are as descriptions. Everyone is different.
But I wanted to point out that my ultimate goal is NOT skinny. Not at all in any way shape or form. Promise. I wanted to acknowledge the fact that any time I lose a bit more weight and take up less space, that’s what it feels like until my mind and body adjust to the new reality of me. A big part of my journey is sharing things like that as they happen. It’s wrestling with the weird mental battle of can vs. can’t and skinny vs. fat and then sharing that internal struggle so I feel less alone.
But my goal is not to be skinny. I don’t have a goal weight of 120 even though that would be a normal healthy weight for my height. I’m not aiming to be a size zero and be ultra skinny. No. My ultimate goal is to be healthy and strong!
I wanted to just write a quick post today and this came to mind. This is my top ten list to describe my goal. I call it my Top Ten Me, basically the top ten list of things/traits/qualities I want to be.
1. HEALTHY (no longer worrying about weight, eating healthy food, being balanced)
2. STRONG (able to lift heavy weights! rawr!)
3. ACTIVE (active every day all the time without pushing myself to be)
4. DANCER (this is the farthest from true now, but it’s a secret dream I think)
5. ATHLETE (completing a triathlon has been my dream for forever)
6. TONED (not a body builder, but definitely want to be more muscle than flab)
7. ADVENTUROUS (rock climbing, sky diving, snowboarding, need I go on?)
8. VIBRANT (people who light up others, that’s what I want to be)
9. SEXY (well, we know I’m working on this one, but being sexy would be great)
10. CONFIDENT (have the confidence I’ve always lacked so I can chase my dreams)
When I consider my “goal” that’s what I consider. That’s what I’m working towards here. And nowhere on that list does it say skinny, nore will it ever. I might feel skinny when I take up less space all the sudden, but it’s not my goal and it’s something that is fleeting (we all have “fat” days). These things above are things I want to be so bad all the time. And I am working toward them each and every day. Which reminds me I need to go do some pushups and squats and … packing.
What’s the top ten YOU?