One of my favorite fitness activities I’ve found since I started working out is ZUMBA.
Zumbs combines Latin and International music with a fun and effective workout system. With classes and instructors worldwide, anyone can Join the Party! It’s something most gyms offer and you can also buy videos to use at home by yourself. It’s a great workout and feels so fun you hardly even notice you are exercising.
Last night I went to my first ZUMBA class in New Zealand!
I actually tried to go to a Zumba class at my gym a couple months ago but left before it started. That’s when I was having anxiety attacks and my social anxiety was out of control. I’ve been trying to work on it since then and I’ve managed to calm myself down a lot. So going to Zumba last night wasn’t a problem at all. I was extremely excited to go instead of being nervous – I felt like my normal Zumba loving self again.
I’ve been missing Zumba for the six months that I’ve been in New Zealand. It’s one of my favorite fitness activities, so I almost can’t believe I went so long without it. It’s amazing what you will eliminate or miss because of anxiety. I’m trying so hard now to not let it control my life. Working through the anxiety is part of my pushing for improvement.
In the class I felt good because I knew a lot of the steps and combinations from previous Zumba classes. I’m also really good at shaking my hips and butt. I’ve been, er, blessed with a generous amount of both so shaking them is a pretty simple task for me. At one point during the hip shaking the instructor tried to get me to go on stage to show everyone what he wanted us to do. Frozen in place I said no, laughed, and went back to moving. My anxiety might be a little better these days but getting up in front of a crowd to move my hips feels me with terror. Maybe one day I’ll be able to do that happily.
The class was great. I loved it. If you haven’t tried Zumba you should because you will love it.
Reasons To Try Zumba
- It’s a good total body workout. You will get your heart rate up during a Zumba class guaranteed. You will jump and move and run and do all sorts of things that will get your heart working. You will work your legs, core, arms – everything. You move your entire body for an hour.
- You will burn a lot of calories. Keeping your heart rate up and almost constantly moving for an hour will burn a good amount of calories. Last night I burned 759 calories in an hour. In an hour you can expect to burn 500 to 800 calories.
- It’s easy even if you can’t dance. The first class might suck and you will feel a step or two behind everyone. But after that you will realize it’s easy even if you aren’t a dancer! I’m not a dancer and find Zumba moves easy to follow.
- Every class is different. With the massive amount of moves and combinations and songs available the class is always something new. There are new dance moves to learn almost every week even if you’ve done Zumba for a while. A class will keep you learning.
- Party atmosphere. It sounds silly but Zumba can feel like you are having fun at a party or club instead of working out in a gym. It’s an experience that takes you somewhere else while you are doing it.
- The feeling afterwards. Last night I left the class with an amazing feeling. I was so happy and felt like I had just run several miles. It’s worth trying a class just to get the amazing feelings post workout.
- Anyone can do it. Seriously, anyone can Zumba. If you are worried about not keeping up – don’t. Just hang out in the back and go your speed. Ask the instructor for modifications if you have an injury or can’t do jumps. Zumba instructors are all super nice and love Zumba so much they would be happy to help.
- You can join a class or do it at home. I recommend going to a class because it’s more fun, but you can do Zumba at home. They sell Zumba DVDs on Amazon that you can use at home to practice.
- It’s fun! Millions of people do Zumba as a workout because it’s fun. You don’t feel like you are exercising. It’s just a fun time.
I can’t wait til the class next Thursday. Zumba is amazing!