So far, 2016 has been ridiculous! It’s been one of the most exciting and jam packed starts to a new year that I’ve ever had.
All The New, All At Once
We are only a week and a half into the new year and so far:
- I’ve gotten engaged.
- Interviewed for a new job.
- Accepted that new job!
Basically, I’ve been super busy with some life changing new things!
We also started touring wedding venues including some venues we’ve been to and cool ones that I didn’t think of originally like some art galleries. It was fun to visit places I’ve never been to before!
We actually ended up choosing our wedding venue and photographer this weekend which was really exciting. Planning events are much more fun once you can start to see it take shape.
Tomorrow I will be starting the new job I interviewed for and accepted last week. This weekend I’ve been trying to do things to get ready to start that new position and new schedule. I know it will be an adjustment at first but I’m very excited about doing something new!
Starting this new year off with so much change and excitement makes me really excited for everything else that is to come this year from the wedding to buying a house to big travel trips and more. Just a few weeks ago some of this didn’t even seem possible and I’m thrilled that it feels achievable now. It’s going to be a BIG year full of lots of change and adventure and growth.
This weekend I’ve also been thinking about what I wanted this year to look like and if I wanted to set goals or an intention for the year. The word/phrase/concept that kept coming up again and again was: self-care.
It’s not necessarily a goal that can be measured but it’s something I will desperately need this year while trying to navigate multiple huge events. Sure I need to take care of other people and support them and help them and do everything I can to be the best daughter, sister, friend, fiance, employee, etc. But I also need to remember to take care of me.
Jason has told me a few times when I’ve been caught in an anxious or negative ruminating cycle of thoughts: “Hey, be nice to Mary.”
So that’s my goal for the year. Be nice to myself. Take care of myself.
This means a few things in my world:
- Don’t be so hard on myself.
- Don’t put so many expectations on myself to do everything perfectly.
- Don’t get so mad at myself when I make mistakes.
- Don’t assume the worst is going to happen.
- Be gentle and kind and forgiving to myself.
- Give to people freely as much as possible because it makes me feel good.
- Stand up for myself even though being passive feels easier.
- Exercise at least 4 times a week to stay sane.
- Take the right vitamins and supplements because they really make a difference.
- Get massages and do self-massage on the regular because I need it.
- Let people help me when they ask and truly want to help.
- Believe in myself and my ability to accomplish things!
Basically, this year I want to work on rebuilding my confidence and on my self-care abilities. No one has the ability to care for you in the way that you do, so I want to make sure I remember that I’m a priority and deserve to be cared for just like I care for other people.
2016 is shaping up to be one of those crazy years that is full of excitement, adventure, change, and happiness. I hope yours is too and I can’t wait to see it all unfold!