Thanks for all the support on my post about depression and PMDD. I can’t say I’m actually feeling any better yet, but working out what’s going on how I should fix the situation has helped. I once again see the light at the end of the tunnel which is important considering how easy it was for me to spin from this type event to an actual extended period of depression previously in my life (not fun).
I’m trying to be proactive and remember that eventually I will feel better. Part of that includes forcing myself to do things I might not really feel like doing. Fake it until you make it, force it until you feel it. Sometimes that is necessary for me.
Ways To Find Excitement In Your Daily Life
I’ve learned that I have to make and find my own excitement in life. Every day routines can be mundane and it’s up to us to find ways to enjoy them.
- Do something different for the day like eating breakfast outside
- Redecorate and move furniture around in your room
- Give yourself a makeover with hair, makeup, clothes
- Plan an adventurous vacation you’ll take soon
- Test drive the car you’ve always wanted to buy
- Reach out to someone you haven’t spoken to recently
- Go to a comedy club and laugh for a couple hours
- Go to a rock concert and rock out to music
- Keep a gratitude journal of things you were grateful that day
- Write a list of things you are excited about doing in the morning
- Make a list of things you are thankful for
- Take action on something you’ve been wanting to do.
Really finding excitement is all about taking action. Being an active participant in life. Action creates momentum and that momentum builds excitement.
Things I’m excited and/or thankful about
One thing I decided to do today was make a list of things I’m looking forward to. While I might be in a blue period today, I have a lot to look forward to and be thankful about!
- Living in Memphis. I enjoy life in Memphis. I get to do more, can afford to do more, and have more people to interact with. It’s nice being in my adopted home city.
- Speaking of which, Memphis was named most improved for bicycling! Awesome. My new goal is to bike every day. I’m not biking to work daily because it’s a hassle sometimes especially if I want to look decent for meetings later, but I’m definitely biking everywhere else and at least once a day.
- On Friday I’m going to dress up like a zombie and walk through the streets of Memphis. Fun, right? I think so.
- I’ve started looking at apartments/houses for rent. Also looked at tons of diy projects. I’m unbelievable excited about having space that’s my own to decorate and enjoy.
- Listening to music I used to LOVE in high school and college but forgot about for a while. It’s made my work day better.
I guess I can gather up some excitement if I really need to do so! And to be fair I really am excited about all those things. Life really is good and only going to get better. :)