Currently I’m reading lots of business and self-help books to build up a strong basis of knowledge for my own business/self-employment endeavors.
Last week I finished reading The Fire Starter Sessions: A Soulful + Practical Guide to Creating Success on Your Own Terms and wanted to share my own review of The Fire Starter Sessions. The book came highly recommended by several self-employed friends and the internet is on fire with recommendations for both this book and anything from Danielle Laporte.
The Fire Starter Sessions Details:
Details via Amazon:
The Fire Starter Sessions is an apathy-kicking, integrity-infusing guide to defining success on your own terms.
As the creator of DanielleLaPorte.com–deemed “the best place online for kick-ass spirituality,”Danielle LaPorte’s straight-talk life-and-livelihood sermons have been read by over one million people. Bold but empathetic, she reframes popular self-help and success concepts:
: Life balance is a myth, and the pursuit of it is causing us more stress then the craving for balance itself.
: Being well-rounded is over-rated. When you focus on developing your true strengths, you enter your mastery zone.
: Screw your principles (they might be holding you back).
: We have ambition backwards. Getting clear on how you want to feel in your life + work is more important than setting goals. It’s the most potent form of clarity that you can have, and it’s what leads to true fulfillment.
My Thoughts On The Fire Starter Sessions Book
I picked up this book because I liked the idea of a philosophy that incorporates business and spirituality instead of keeping them separate. Since being self-employed is a huge part of my life and future plans right now I like the idea of taking a holistic approach.
There were a lot of things I really loved about this book:
- Covers lots of topics. Unlike a very narrow self help or business book, this book covers many different topics on almost every aspect of your life.
- Awesome insights into her life. Personally I love biographies of successful people so I enjoyed the examples and insights from Danielle’s own life and successful business endeavors.
- Truthful. Danielle Laporte has a great style of honest, hard hitting, truth telling. She is straight up and honest and you can tell that when you read.
- Great book for a time of change. This book rocks for anyone switching jobs, careers, starting a business or changing any aspect of life.
- Easy read. It’s an interesting style of writing with lots of pithy comments but the style is very engaging and easy to read. If you don’t plan on doing the worksheets then you can finish the book quickly.
- Positive. Fire Starter Sessions has a super positive, extremely life-affirming message that encourages you in whatever step you are about to take.
Downsides to this book? At times the style of writing feels overly cutesy and forced. Some topics aren’t covered in depth enough for my liking to feel substantive. At times I would have enjoyed a bit more meat on certain topics.
Should You Buy The Fire Starter Sessions Book?
Short answer? Yes. I recommend it.
The details of business – profit and loss, spreadsheets, taxes – they don’t exactly make you feel inspired to take charge and create the life you want. That’s why books like this are so important even if you don’t fully connect with the style. They offer a different side of the encouragement coin and inspire you to keep charging ahead.
At least, that’s what it did for me. I’m feeling more inspired than ever to keep working hard, keep hustling, and make my dreams a reality. I don’t have to make sacrifices and leave my creativity or humanity behind to be successful and this book convinced me of that reality.
If you’d like to join me in this journey I highly recommend grabbing a copy of the book on Amazon (buy it here: The Fire Starter Sessions) and working through it. It just might change your life or business.