I love you people, seriously. The comments and conversations spawned from yesterday’s thoughts on reaching “normal” were amazing and thought provoking. I definitely would go crazy without the wisdom and encouagement you all share with me. Thank you!
I’m feeling very thankful for everything in my life right now. I just finished reading My Sister’s Keeper yesterday and it was just another confirmation of how short and precious life really is. If you have never read the book, consider buying it or going to see the movie version out now. It is a tearjerker but sometimes a message of sadness is needed to show us how many positive things we have just in being alive. Life is such a gift – don’t waste it.
Just because I’m in a grateful mood, I want to make a list of all the things (besides you guys!) that I am so grateful for.
I am grateful for:
- Life. It’s crazy that we wake up every day, make choices, run, play, breathe. How can you not be grateful to be alive?
- My family. They drive me crazy, but I love them. I know when push comes to shove they are the ones who will be there for me.
- Medicine. My back hurts, badly. I messed it up for real today and for the first time in a long time I am grateful that medicine exists to eliminate pain. I don’t take medicine often or without deep thought, and today I’m glad it exists.
- Freedom. July 4th is coming up for us Americans and we will celebrate the freedom we have and love. After watching the people of Iran and other countries struggle for the same privileges we take for granted, I am very grateful that I have the freedom to do what I want.
- Access to clean water. Considering how little we value water, and the way some of us must force ourselves to drink it, I doubt we appreciate the easy access we have to clean water. Millions don’t have this. I’m grateful for this, so I support orgs like charity: water who are working to give this to all people.
- My gym. I love my gym, the people in it, the equipment in it, and what I am able to do there. I am so thankful that my access to it is part of my job and completely free to me. It has changed my life and I am grateful for it.
- Good food. I’m so happy that I can afford (for now) good, healthy food. I think about the crap I could be eating and feel lucky to have access to good food without restriction.
- Opportunity. This might be the thing I am most grateful for, especially now that I am leaving everything I know behind to move and try something new. I am amazed that I have the opportunity to do this and excited about what kind of opportunities I will find in my future.
What about you guys? Ever have those moments where you just sit and think, WOW, what did I do to deserve all this? Moments of complete gratitude are few and far between. I hope you have a few of those moments and you think about some of the great things that you are grateful to have in your life.