I felt like skipping my workout today because I was busy.
A meeting in town (30 minute train ride both ways), work, a coffee date with a friend = busy day for me. An hour long workout seemed pretty low on the priority list, to the point that I wanted to skip it.
But I didn’t. I worked it into my schedule. Even though it’s going to be a long day for me I’m glad I did it.
Now I want to leave you with a post I wrote a while back but didn’t publish. Hopefully those of you who made new year’s resolutions are still going strong!
Healthy Ways To Start The Year Off Right
The new year represents a fresh start. If you over indulged during the holidays don’t worry about it. Binges and over eating happen but the best thing to do is move on as soon as you can. Let’s make the most of this new beginning, shall we? Here’s 12 ways to start the new year off right with healthier habits.
- Set some goals. Ask yourself: What do you want to accomplish this year? Create some measureable goals that you can realistically achieve during the year (use numbers like lose 30 pounds rather than just lose weight).
- Make a plan. Plan out what it will take to accomplish those goals. Break the goals down into smaller actions and schedule them into your normal life.
- Find a friend or mentor. Having help will help you succeed. Reach out to someone in your life or even online who can help you stick with your healthy lifestyle goals.
- Take a walk. It’s the easiest and possibly the healthiest form of exercise. It costs nothing and can be enjoyable. Try walking without a destination in mind.
- Try a new fitness activity. You won’t know whether you hate or love something until you actually try it. Try one or two new things at the start of the year and keep trying things until you find something you love doing.
- Drink more water. Time for eggnog and celebratory drinks is over. Grab the water and skip sodas, fruit drinks, and other calorie laden beverages.
- Start tracking your food. You don’t have to calorie count (though it is good!) but being aware of the food you are consuming is important. Start tracking in whatever method works for you, online calorie counter, weight watchers, pen & paper – any way you want!
- Stretch. Stretching tends to be the one physical activity a lot of us miss but it’s one of the best! Start the year right by stretching out your muscles after warming up for five minutes.
- Eat more vegetables and fruit. This is a personal goal of mine all the time because it seems I never get enough. But I always keep aiming for 5-9 servings of fruits and veggies a day. Try this yourself in the new year and you will appreciate all the energy and nutrients your body gets from the extra produce!
- Laugh. Work your ab muscles and get yourself in a better mood. Go to a comedy club or watch your favorite funny show.
- Clean your house. Clearing physical clutter can help clear mental clutter and leave space for new healthier habits.
Let me make it easier on you. Just pick one healthy habit to start. Do this for two weeks until it sticks. Then pick a new habit. Stick with it until it sticks. Then another. You’ll slip up and mess up and it takes time, but change is possible. Sometimes you’ll have more trouble with one thing than others (for me I have more trouble with food than fitness), but any change in the right direction is positive. It’s not an all or nothing kind of deal… even a little success is worth it.
Let’s do this!