Part of the holiday season means drinking tasty cocktails and eating great food. We all love this time of year but it does cause serious health and weight damage. If you’re like me then you want to control the damage constant partying and eating out can have on weight loss efforts.
During this time of year, one simple solution is to avoid the drinks that will do the most damage. Drinking high calories beverages is a tasty way to pack on the pounds. These “empty” calories don’t make you feel full but they still add calories to your daily total.
This list of unhealthy holiday drinks to avoid offers a good starting list of drinks to avoid during the season. They might be tasty but they will pack on the pounds faster than you can say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
High Calorie Holiday Drinks To Avoid
- White Russian: Vodka, coffee liqueur and cream equals 863 calories.
- Spiced Eggnog: Regular eggnog mixed with spiced rum equals 343 calories.
- Mudslide: White Russian with the addition of Bailey’s Irish Cream and chocolate syrup equals 851 calories.
- Chocolate Martini: Choice of vodka, chocolate liquor, and chocolate crumbles on the rim equals 438 calories.
- Mulled Wine: Packed with sugar and has 356 calories and 40 grams of carbs.
- Irish Coffee: Coffee, whiskey, Bailey’s, whipped cream equals 320 calories.
- Long Island Iced Tea: Rum, gin, vodka, tequila, triple sec, sour mix and a splash of cola equals 380 calories.
Lower Calories Drinks Options To Try
Instead of heading into the new year heavier, celebrate the holidays by drinking lower calories options at gatherings. If you are hosting your own party this is much easier. You can simply decide what is being served. For ideas on low calorie drink options try the following products:
Low Calorie Cocktail Recipe Books
Hungry Girl’s book of low calorie cocktail recipes features some really easy and delicious recipes like this low calorie margarita recipe:
HG’s Magical Low-Cal Margarita
Per Serving (entire recipe, 1 margarita): 115 calories, 0g fat, 55mg sodium, 2g carbs, 0g fiber, less than .05g sugars, 0g protein
- 1-1/5 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce lime juice
- One 2-serving packet (about 1 teaspoon) sugar-free lemonade powdered drink mix
- 6 ounces diet lemon-lime soda
- Optional garnish: lime slice
- Combine tequila, lime juice, and powdered drink mix in a glass.
- Stir to dissolve drink mix.
- Transfer mixture to a shaker filled with ice.
- Add soda and stir, stir, stir.
- Strain into a margarita glass with lots of crushed ice.
- If you like, finish it off with a slice of lime on the rim of the glass.
Makes 1 Serving.
Also try the book: Skinny Cocktails.
Low Calorie Drink Mixes
Additionally, you can by pre-made low calories drink mixes. This is a great alternative if you are attending a party and want to make sure there are tasty low calorie options.
Baja Bob offers lots of options for sugar free, no calorie or low calorie drink mixes.
- Baja Bob’s Sugar Free Margarita Mix, Original, 32-Ounce Bottles
- Baja Bob’s Sugar Free Margarita Mix, Wild Strawberry, 32-Ounce Bottles
- Baja Bob’s Sugar Free Margarita Mix, Triple Citrus, 32-Ounce Bottles
- Baja Bob’s Maui Madness Mai Tai Mix, Sugar Free, 32-Ounce Bottles
- Baja Bob’s Sugar Free Martini Mix, Sour Apple, 32-Ounce Bottles
- Baja Bob’s Crazy Caribe Pina Colada Mix, No Sugar Added, 32-Ounce Bottles
Single Serving Low Calorie Drink Mixes
You can also grab some low calorie single serving drink mixes to take with you to add to drinks:
- Baja Bob’s Sugar Free Original Lime Margarita Mix
- Baja Bob’s Sugar Free California Chocolate Coffee Mudslide Mix
- Go Cocktails! Sugar Free On The Go Lemon Drop Mixes, 8-Count Single Servings
- Slimstix Sugar Free Margarita Cocktail Mix 8pk Box
- Slimstix Sugar Free Cosmo Cocktail Mix 8pk Box
Whichever low calorie cocktail option you decide to go with, please be careful and drink responsibly. Enjoy! :)