Roasted sweet potatoes are one of the best things you can eat during the cold winter months. They are a great side dish or foundation for an entree. In the past I’ve eaten a sweet potato as a full meal topped with something like chili or even peanut butter!
Roasting sweet potatoes is also super easy to do and a great extra thing to cook when you are already using your oven for something else. They are an easy addition to tuck into another rack to make your cooking time more productive. This is why I love making them during the winter and for holiday meals – they are a easy, no fuss thing to make!
There are a few different ways to roast sweet potatoes but I always use either the sliced method or the whole potato method. Both are great options.
How to roast sliced sweet potatoes:
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Peel your sweet potatoes (optional if you like the peels!)
- Dice sweet potatoes into roughly 1 inch pieces.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl.
- Cover in olive oil, coconut oil, or your preferred oil choice.
- Cover in seasonings like a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place potatoes in a baking dish or baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake the potatoes for 45 minutes, turning/stirring potatoes every 15 minutes.
- Add final toppings and seasonings or even fresh herbs!
How to roast whole sweet potatoes:
- Preheat the over to 375°F.
- Wash whole sweet potato well and pat dry.
- Use aluminum foil to create a little holder for your sweet potato. Place sweet potato inside foil.
- Drizzle potato with a small amount of oil and rub around entire potato for a thin layer.
- Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork several times.
- Wrap the sweet potatoes in the foil sealing it closed.
- Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and place in heated oven for roasting.
- Check on your potatoes! It’s hard to predict the perfect doneness since all potatoes cook slightly differently, so check on the potatoes starting at 30 minutes.
- When your sweet potatoes are done a fork or knife should go in and glide through and out. If they aren’t done place them back in the oven and check again in 10 minutes or so.
- When done, slice the sweet potato in half for easy eating. Add any toppings or additional seasonings you might like.
Roasting sweet potatoes gives them amazing flavor and is really quite easy. Cut, oil, roast! Right? Simple.
Another reason why sweet potatoes are awesome is because you can eat them right then or save them for later since they keep for several days and are easy to reheat. As someone who takes my lunch to work 95% of the time, this is a huge value for me knowing I can reheat the sweet potatoes later.
If you haven’t tried roasting sweet potatoes before, you should give it a try!