Thanks for all the support about the new BIG goal. I guess since I’m missing my love I have to fill my life with some other big things that will need my attention while we are apart. We shall see how it goes.
In order to push myself farther toward reaching my goal, yesterday I joined a gym! Yay!
It was a odd experience of sorts. I’ve been going to gyms for the last five years, but I’ve never actually joined a gym before. When I first started trying to get healthy it was at the YMCA where I worked. Since then I’ve worked out at YMCAs or free gyms I’ve had access too, like the one I used at my college. I’ve never joined a gym properly – paying money and signing my name and all that. The process made me feel like I was actually committing to something. I am committed to this goal now. I signed my name and everything.
So what gym did I join?
(Oh, if only they were paying me for this great free advertising! Or sponsoring me for Fitbloggin? Yeah? Anyone?)
Actually I have no idea if it will turn out well. I don’t know if I will like it. I have three months to find out.
Reasons I chose Anytime Fitness:
- It wasn’t the YMCA. I love the Y but after working for various Ys in the area for years, I wanted to try something different.
- My friend works out there. Candace, the running buddy from workouts past, uses the same gym. I figure I’ll be more likely to go if I know she is there. Even if I don’t workout with her, I’m more motivated to show up and do my thing.
- It wasn’t scary. I checked out a couple other gyms near my house, and when I went in I was terrified. I went to one gym where women were on the cardio equipment and the weights section was overrun with big guys who gave me bad looks. Yeah, I like my weights so I’m not joining a gym that looks like I’ll have to fight for my right to use them.
- Diverse clientele. Anytime Fitness had people of all ages in there working out when I dropped by – it wasn’t just in shape people my age. I felt like I would fit in well there.
- Convenient. Of the three gyms near my house it is the farthest away, but it is still quite close. A 5 minute drive or so. Not bad at all.
- Open all the time. I LOVE working out at random times – like at night. I wanted a gym that won’t close early and leave me out to dry. With this gym I can go any time I want… hehehe.
Those are a few reasons. I basically decided to join as soon as I walked in before even finding out the price. I saw the people working out there, knew it would be a good fit for me, and decided to join. I then saw my friend, which was a bonus.
It will be a different experience for me, since it is a smaller gym. But I’m excited to get there and get a workout in. I haven’t had a proper workout in… forever? So later today will be my first chance to try everything out. (Yep, I joined a gym without a test drive.) I’ll let you know how it goes! I’m just so excited to be a gym member again! For some reason I can’t seem to motivate myself as well when working out at home.
Do you belong to a gym or do your thing at home?