photo by: Paul Keleher
The Biggest Loser finalists ran a marathon this season and many people set a marathon as their ultimate fitness goal. Marathons are a popular activity and dream in this country.
My friend Meredith runs them often, sometimes even without much training (she is a machine and an ironWOman). It seems that once people get into marathons they end up doing multiple marathons and half-marathons because it is an “addictive” sport.
Here are some pretty interesting facts about marathons.
- In 2009, more than 400,000 people is the U.S. will run the 26.2 mile race.
- A marathon runner will go through 2 pairs of sneakers while training for the race.
- The age range of the majority of female marathon runners in the U.S. is 25-29 years old.
- The average woman burns 2,880 calories while running a marathon.
- 4:59:28 is the average time of U.S. female marathon runners.
- It takes the average woman 51,214 steps to complete a marathon.
I don’t know if distance running will be my thing, but it is one of those things that is in the back of my mind that I might do one day. If I do ever train for a marathon I’ll definitely be sourcing information from Meredith and books like The Nonrunner’s Marathon Guide for Women: Get Off Your Butt and On with Your Training.
What about you? Are you planning to do a marathon at some point? Have you already done one? Are you one of thos crazy weekend warriors running them often? Whichever you are, I admire you.