Despite being 25 I’ve never found a full skin care routine that worked well enough that I stuck with it. This will probably be to my detriment later in life (ahh wrinkles!) but I’ve found the majority of products I bought to help my skin either didn’t work or majorly irritated my sensitive skin. I’ve gone through a lot of products and these days mostly use either kids products or things for sensitive skin.
This is currently just some of what I put on my skin and leave on most days. Not even counting cleansers and stuff that goes on and comes off quickly.
I recently decided to try switching to an all or mostly all natural skin care remedies. I’ve been listening to a lot of the Jillian Michaels podcast during my workouts and she is always going on about chemicals and cancer and going organic. I can’t really afford to eat all organic (I can barely afford to eat the cheap stuff here) but I can stop slathering on hundreds of chemicals onto my skin.
Plus, “33 percent [of] Personal care products that contain at least one chemical linked to cancer, according to the Skin Deep report by the Environmental Working Group, a partner of the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics.” (source) I figure the less I use on my skin, the better.
For this reason I’m slowly switching over and trying to find the best possible solutions. I’m not throwing everything I have away and starting from scratch so I’m just turning to natural skin care options when my current bottles of “stuff” run out. I’ve only tried two things so far but I have to say that both were very nice!
Natural Skin Care Solutions I’ve Tried So Far
- Egg white face mask. I was hesitant about putting egg white on my face because of the yuck factor, but it worked incredibly well! All you do is beat an egg white then put it on your face and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. It gets tight and then you wash it off with lukewarm water. Your skin feels really good afterwards!
- Extra virgin olive oil as moisturizer. My skin can get dry rather quickly (especially in winter) and start getting flaky so I like to moisturize at night most nights. I previously used oil of olay products for this but just switched over to olive oil. I used a hot wet rag over my face (like a steamer) twice then rub gentle circles to get off dead skin. Then I use a cotton ball which I wet with water first then add a couple drops of EVOO. Rub that across my face and leave it on overnight and wash in morning. Voila, super moisturized and soft skin the next morning. I might actually start to just do it for 30 minutes or so before bed though since I have a tendency to not sleep on my back…ooops! This is one I need to experiment with more but the first results are promising!
Natural Skin Care Solutions I Want To Try
- Apple Cider Vinegar as a toner
- Homemade facial scrub with sugar to exfoliate
- Extra virgin olive oil to remove makeup (especially eye makeup)
- Some type of natural acne treatment
I also want to look into products from organic brands that don’t use a lot of chemicals since I can’t make everything or just use normal kitchen products as they are for all things. I’d love recommendations for good brands for this.
I have a lot to learn in this area but I’m very open to suggestions and comments from anyone who uses natural products for skin care. Even if you use regular products for sensitive skin I’m open to recommendations for that too!
Let me know what I should do or try in the comments!