Growing up I never really liked museums. They were cold and boring and you could never touch any of the stuff! I could never understand why we always had to take field trips to museums. The only museums that were actually fun were the children’s museums.
However, as an adult I’ve learned to love museums. They’ve become one of my favorite places to visit when I travel and something I love to frequent in my own town.
There are many reasons to love museums and today I’m sharing 12 reasons why I think you should love visiting museums!
Photo: William Cho
Reasons Why I Love Museums
- Museums are open and available to anyone regardless of class or race or any demographic information. Everyone can enjoy museums.
- Museums persevere and share our history. They show how people lived and grew through the ages and help us understand where we came from and why that affects us today.
- Art museums can evoke emotion and assist in the growth of visitors. Art is very important to society as a whole in it’s development and museums help make that possible.
- For no money at all or just a small fee, you have access to items worth millions of dollars. Museums are so important for the access they give every day people to amazing items and ides.
- It’s an experience! Museums are very interactive these days. There might be a few things you can’t touch but museums have worked hard to make visits very interactive and fun for guests.
- Museums exist on all sorts of topics. There aren’t just art or history museums but a myriad of museums on all sorts of topics. I love visting tiny little museums and seeing what they have decided is museum worthy!
- Museums aren’t just about the exhibits but they also have cafes, restaurants, events, and more. Museums are part of the cultural fabric of their city and are a gathering place for the people in that city.
- You always have a different experience. Museums curate the displays and information you see when you visit and these are ever changing. You’ll see different things each time you visit and can plan around their schedule.
- Museum events can be fabulous! Not only is it a cool venue but museums host great parties and galas and fundraisers that are incredibly fun to attend.
- Museums support local economies because they are good for tourism and generating revenue for the city they are located in.
- Stories you may have missed are often captured and shared by museums. They often help spotlight the marginalized and the forgotten in history.
- Museums bring history to life. You can only read so much about history in a book before you need to “experience” it by seeing artifacts and getting interactive with the stories and ideas. Museums help do this and create another level of learning that many people forget about when studying history.
Photo: Matthew Paulson
Those are just a few of the reasons why I personally love museums. I fell in love with art museums while I studied abroad in Europe and my college experience has made me love museums so much more. I even worked for a small one as an intern.
If you couldn’t tell, I’m actually a history major in school! I love history and the stories that come from our past. Studying history has been one of my best decisions because it’s made me more analytical and a better writer through my studies. I truly appreciate the study!
Hopefully some of these reasons why I love museums are also some of the reasons why you love them as well. It’s important to support museums in their efforts so let’s all make sure to visit!